TULARE, Calif. (KGPE) – The KNP complex continued to grow on Monday. It has grown to nearly 47,000 acres with an 8% containment.
Dozens of people attended a community meeting at the Trois-Rivières Memorial Building.
“If you had told me two and a half weeks ago that at this point we would be confined to less than 10%. I probably would have said ‘I’m not sure I want to hear that,’ ”said Clay Jordan, director of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.
Jordan began the meeting by addressing the rumors circulating about the weak containment of the KNP complex fire.
He said he had seen posts online claiming the parks service allowed fire to spread because they care more about the ecosystem than people, all they care about are the giant sequoias and he even saw a rumor that he started the fire with a drone.
Jordan said there was a lot of misinformation going around and the lockdown number did not reflect the amount of work being done.
He said there were around 19 miles of bulldozer line in the park and crews were also working upstream of the blaze through indirect attacks that will bear fruit on the road.
“The teams continue to indirectly build a line of fire, which means they are building capture gloves so they can stop the fire where it is possible to do so,” said Mike Theune, an information officer at fires.
A new incident management team took control of the blaze over the weekend and brought more favorable conditions with them.
“The biggest difference today is we had a little more ventilation and the smoke was able to come out and we could see, something this blue team didn’t have last week,” said Chad Rice. , head of the operations section.
In the next 24 hours, crews expect clearer skies. So while they can use aerial attacks, they also prepare for more active and extreme fire behavior.
There are currently over 1,800 people on this fire and orders have been placed for more resources. But with several other fires burning across the state, it’s unclear whether they will all be granted.