By Dr. Mabala Nyalugwe—
Muncie, IN – So much work has been done by various groups and individuals in the African American community over the years. In November, a panel of our African American leaders were invited to a first gathering on November 21, at the Greater Kingdom Life Ministry, 901 East 29th Street, Muncie IN. Community members came together to discuss OUR community’s interests, concerns and challenges and possible strategies for collective action. The meeting was designed to provide a vital resource as to the opportunities already available and to address interests and concerns that may arise within the African American community.
Invited leaders were encouraged to use the opportunity to encourage advocacy and galvanize material and physical support for the work already underway through various organizations (to avoid reinventing the wheel due to a lack of information) and to help us know how to provide tangible support to efforts already addressing the interests and concerns of our community.
Ms. Watasha Barnes-Griffin was the moderator and everyone present had the opportunity to introduce themselves and share their interests and/or concerns. From the heated discussions that followed, several questions were raised, and although the next meeting was proposed for January 2021, requests for an earlier meeting led to a follow-up meeting on December 12, 2020.
The Unity In OUR Community Committee will meet again on Saturday, December 12 at 2 p.m. to discuss interests and concerns and continue our conversation on the issues presented in the first meeting which included information on:
- Home ownership……critical not only for the enhancement of our neighborhoods, but also for the acquisition of personal financial independence
- Developing African American Male Leadership
- Delaware County Muncie Black Chamber of Commerce – why the need when we already have a local Chamber of Commerce
- Diversify the workforce (various sectors) to represent the level of diversity in the community
- Policing and neighborhood relations – what would be ideal and how can it be improved
- Restoring the Village – mentorship and authentic relationships between young adults and seasoned citizens
The public is encouraged to join us for an informal meeting to brainstorm what we could do to continue moving our community forward.
WHEN: Saturday, December 12, 2020
TIME: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
OR: Ministry of Great Kingdom Life, 901 East 29th Street, Muncie IN 47302
Masks, social distancing and temperature screening will be enforced due to COVID 19.
The initial unit leaders in OUR community included the following:
- Mabala Nyalugwe, MD
- Bishop Renzie Abram (Pastor Emeritus. Berea Church)
- William Snell
- Evette Young
- Cornelius Dollison (Board Member of Whitely Community Council, Retired)
- Watasha Barnes Griffin (Indiana Black Expo Muncie Chapter President, MLK Dream Team Co-Chair, CEO, YWCA Central Indiana)
- Pastor Maria Wilson (Mobilize Muncie)
- Joseph Anderson (President, NAACP)
- Mary Dollison (Whitely Community Council Education Committee Co-Chair, Community Activist, Retired Teacher)
- Dr Ruby Cain (Vice President (Faculty), Black Faculty & Staff Association (BFSA), Director, Adult and Community Education, Associate Professor of Practice, Adult and Community Education
RSVP/Questions to Dr. Mabala Nyalugwe at 765-876-8055 (text or call)